This recipe for Roll-Up Zucchini Lasagna is the perfect balance of what your body craves and needs. Choosing a quality sourced meat that is lean is the name of the game for best body composition. I like to plan my meals around the protein source first and then what veggies and carbs would pair great with it! In this meal, I chose a chunky meat sauce that is comforting but also super nutritious. If you'd like more protein and fiber, eat this with a serving of Banza Spaghetti, which is made from garbanzo beans and is higher in protein and fiber. Check out the recipe below!
- 1-pound ground lean meat of choice
- 3-4 large zucchini, thin long slices
- 1/2 yellow onion, small chop
- 1 large carrot, small chop
- 2 cloves garlic, small chop
- 1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 (14.5oz) can tomato sauce
- 5+ leaves fresh basil
- 1+ tsp dried oregano
- 1+ tsp dried thyme
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Slice zucchini into thin strips, this will make them manageable to roll.
- Lay zucchini on a cooling baking rack on top of a regular sheet tray (this will allow the heat of the oven to circulate around the zucchini and remove excess water in the vegetable.)
- Dab off excess water from the zucchini slices with a paper towel then place in oven for 10-15 min or until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat a sauce pan over medium high heat and coat bottom with a small amount of oil.
- Add in the veggies and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté one more minute.
- Add in the ground meat and cook all the way through.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Simmer for 20 minutes. Allow to cook slightly before rolling into zucchini.
- Begin to stuff and roll the zucchini strips one by one. Start with 1-2 Tbs of meat sauce per zucchini, depending how large the strips are and place each roll-up into a baking dish. I recommend using a baking dish with high sides so you can get them nice and snug so they keep their best form!
- Sprinkle with fresh basil.
- *NOTE: If you prefer some mozzerella cheese melted on top, layer the roll-ups in a single row in a baking dish, sprinkle with cheese and any remaning sauce, pop in the oven until cheese is melted, then serve!
About the Author: Dana Bujalski hails from the Chicago suburbs. As a personal chef for in-home meal prep, small parties, and cooking lessons, Dana focuses primarily on clients' nutritional and specific dietary needs. She has a strong passion for health and wellness and has competed in four NPC Bikini Competitions, placing 2nd in her third show. Competing helped Dana become stronger both in and out of the kitchen, which ultimately led to her having a better relationship with food, something she adamantly passes along to her clients. Find her on Instagram @BodyFuelbyDana