Many of us diet to lose weight. But, the restrictive nature of dieting often deprives us of the foods we love. Once the weight is lost, old eating habits are resumed, and the yo-yo effect continues.
Our lives are essentially a long string of decisions. The small moments when we say “yes” or “no” literally shape us into the people we are today. Individuals who remain consistently healthy throughout their lives make good decisions daily. To truly be healthy, a person needs to make a lifestyle change.
It is possible, preferable even, to say “yes” to the foods we love when the foods we love are improved to be both healthy and delicious. It will take time to adjust, but once you find your mind is on board, the body will soon follow.
Make it easier on your tastebuds by starting small, like with this tasty polenta “pizza.” It is essentially a cornmeal crust, crunchy and brown on the outside, creamy and soft in the center, topped with anything favorable to a traditional pizza topping.
Instead of processed meats, high in fat, calories, cholesterol and preservatives, think about topping the pizza with piles of vegetables. The delicate, creamy corn flavor is a sublime backdrop for them.
Since you’re doing such an excellent job with the vegetables and crust, reward yourself with a sprinkling of protein-rich cheese, such as goat cheese, fresh mozzarella, and fontina. These are all excellent choices.
Pictured is a pie made of slow-roasted tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil. It is amazing.
Say yes to life and health and the pursuit of better food options.
- 1 cup polenta, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 2 Tbs parmesan cheese, optional
- 2-3 cups roasted or sauteed vegetables of your choice, think colorful bell peppers, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes, olives, onions, etc.
- 2 oz cheese, crumbled or shredded
- 2 Tbs fresh basil or parsley
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray a 9” or 10” springform pan with cooking spray or olive oil.
- Stir together polenta, olive oil and parmesan cheese until a smooth porridge is formed.
- Place in springform pan and use a spatula or your fingers to spread it in a nice even layer.
- Bake in preheated oven 25-30 minutes, until golden brown and firm.
- Remove from oven and top with vegetables and cheese.
- Place back in oven until vegetables are warm and cheese is melted.
- Remove sides of springform pan and slide pizza onto a cutting board.
- Top with fresh herbs.