Here is a savory recipe that takes traditional Mexican chicken verde enchiladas and makes them lighter. The whole family will love them!
- 1 lb. 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, halved and divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 18 white corn tortillas
- 3 cups salsa verde, jarred or homemade
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco
- Shredded iceberg lettuce
- Sour cream, optional to serve
- Cilantro, optional garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place the chicken breasts in pot along with 1⁄2 an onion, salt, and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer until cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the water and let cool slightly. Shred chicken with two forks and set aside.
- Dice the remaining onion and add to the shredded chicken.
- Individually warm 6 tortillas on the stove to make them pliable so they don't crack.
- Keep them covered with a dishcloth to stay warm, then working one by one dip each warm tortilla in salsa verde.
- Scoop two heaping tablespoons into each tortilla, roll tightly and place in a large casserole dish, seam side down, in a single layer.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas and chicken.
- Drench entire pan with 1 cup sauce and sprinkle with crumbled queso fresco.
- Bake, covered in oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and serve with sour cream, shredded lettuce, and additional queso fresco, if desired.
UP NEXT: What Are Some Healthy Fats?