March is National Nutrition Month, which became an annual event in 1976. The purpose of this special month is to focus on the importance of eating a well-balanced diet and engaging in healthy exercise regularly. To keep it simple, we thought we'd share these super easy tips to help you eat and live more healthfully.
1. Watch Portion Sizes: More isn’t always better. Use the below chart for a visual of what normal food portions should actually look like.
2. Stay Hydrated: Skip the sugary sodas and opt for H20 instead. How much water, you ask? According to the U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine men should drink about 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids a day while women should aim for 11.5 cups (2.7 liters) of fluids a day.
3. Check Food Labels: Always know what you’re really getting, what a serving size is and how many carbs, sugars, fat and calories are in the foods you consume.
4. Prep Healthy Meals and Snacks: Avoid fast-food runs and vending machines by planning and prepping ahead. It's easier than you may think! We have tons of recipes here.
5. Eat Mindfully: Sit at your table, take a bite of food, chew it slowly, and truly savor each bite. Benefits include better digestion, more enjoyment, and potentially fewer calories because you're not eating mindlessly in front of a television.
6. Exercise Regularly: Regularly means fitting in at least 150 minutes (2.5 hours) of heart-pumping physical activity per week, and that includes walking.