Rather than focusing on ways to BURN calories, think of ways not to CONSUME them! Here are five easy ways to cut extra calories from your diet every day.
1. Instead of a bran muffin for breakfast, which will cost you about 350 calories, have a bowl of plain oatmeal with fruit and brown sugar. Total Savings: 60 calories (save even more by adding fresh fruit instead of dried fruit and skipping the brown sugar).
2. Swap a slice of full-fat cheese (106 calories for Swiss cheese) on your sandwich for a slice of low-fat cheese (50 calories for low-fat Swiss cheese). Total Savings: 56 calories.
3. Instead of a 12-oz. can of soda (150 calories), choose a 7.5-oz. mini from Coca-Cola: (90 calories). Total Savings: 60 calories.
4. Instead of low-fat fruit-flavored yogurt (150 calories for 6 ounces), choose fat-free Greek yogurt (80 calories for 6 ounces). Total Savings: 70 calories.
5. Instead of a candy bar, which will cost you anywhere from 210 calories (Kit Kat) to 280 calories (Twix or Snickers), choose an ounce of raw almonds for 164 calories (1 ounce = 23 almonds). Total Savings: 46-116 calories.
If you would like additional advice about cutting unnecessary calories from your diet or just want to eat more healthfully, nutrition experts at your local NUTRISHOP® store can help!