How many of us believed back in January that 2020 was going to be a year of greatness? Six months ago, it was easy to embrace this view. Not only was January 2020 the start of a new year, this was the dawning of a new decade. A new decade allows us to have a clean slate. So many applicable slogans: “A new chapter!” “Make this your best decade!” “Your best life!” How many of us believed we were going to slay major goals, crush new levels and embrace the fruits of an enticing turning point?
Cue plot twist.
No one, and I mean NO ONE, could have predicted the smorgasbord of debilitating events that global society felt (and continues to feel as of this writing). The devastating effects of COVID-19 brought life as we know it to a grinding halt. Every single one of us have felt its crippling blow one way or another. Pandemic reactions were off the charts: health fears realized, financial crisis, job loss, meeting basic needs, etc. Life as we know it is the ultimate rollercoaster ride; the gut-lurching twists and turns along the way happen when we least expect it.
A pandemic wasn’t needed for us to experience setbacks. Setbacks are a part of life. They are the moments you did not anticipate. They can knock us to our knees and test our will. Setbacks can make us play the “what-if” game with our thoughts and push our emotions to spill over. Setbacks are as minor as a letdown and as major as a sudden illness or death. As dismal as setbacks appear to be, they also set the stage for a phenomenal comeback.
A comeback is a triumph over a challenge or a devastating situation. It begins with the spirit of never giving up, no matter how horrible or bleak things appear to be. Your phenomenal comeback starts with YOU. You have the power to bounce back, regardless of the situation.
Here are five ways to help you create your own comeback story:
- Allow yourself time to grieve the situation. Give yourself permission to have a good cry if need be. It takes time to process emotions. Recognize the space you are in as this can lead you to gain clarity and insight.
- Create an action plan that will lead to your comeback. Write down your goals, no matter how lofty or distant they seem. Keep them where you can see them daily.
- Take care of your health. It’s easy to let health fall by the wayside. Loss of appetite or sleep and developing unhealthy habits can easily happen during difficult times. Be consistent in nourishing the body to keep stress levels to a minimum when dealing with a setback.
- Be proactive with self-development. There are countless books, groups, coursework and other reference sources available at your fingertips that can help you grow. What traits do you believe you have that are weaker than others? What skillset do you lack that would help you move in the direction you want to proceed? Take advantage of the resources around you.
- Gather your support system. Surround yourself with people who can support you on your journey to your comeback. Make it a point to be around those who are actively pursuing their goals and aspirations. Share your goals with your support system and ask them to help hold you accountable to your action plan.
- Consistency is key. Make it a daily ritual to actively work on your goals. Regardless of how much progress you make each day, progress is progress.
Remember that tough times are not permanent. Where we are today in our situations is temporary. The chapter we are in does not represent the whole book. We still hold the power to create action that results in the best outcome we could ever want: our comeback story.
About the Author: Adriana Morrison, NASM-CPT/CES, is an 18-year veteran of the fitness industry, fitness magazine model, empowerment speaker, and mother to 4 kids/autism mom to 3 of her children.
UP NEXT: One Step at a Time is All It Takes