Just because we are having to practice social distancing and can’t get to the gym right now, doesn’t mean we have to let all our hard work go to waste. Or, if you haven’t been working out or eating healthy for a while, that’s OK! You can still start right now. Here are some of my top tips to help you emerge from lockdown even better than before!
At-Home Transformation Tips
1. Set a Goal and Keep a Journal! Whether it’s weight loss or maintaining muscle, setting a goal is a good start. Writing everything down will help you be accountable to yourself.
2. Measure Yourself in 3-5 Places. Get out a measuring tape and measure your hips, waist, glutes, arms, and thighs. Make sure you measure the same spot each week. Seeing those inches go down will be very motivating and will encourage you to keep going!
3. Forget the Scale. Your weight on a home scale should never be the focus of determining your results, like ever. The scale doesn’t tell you how much muscle you have versus your fat stores. NUTRISHOP® utilizes an InBody machine that measures lean muscle, fat, skeletal mass, water, and more. If you can make it to a store, hop on the scale to have a reference point. If not, focus more on the inches lost and how your clothes fit.
4. Do Weekly Check-Ins with Yourself. Pick the same day of each week to do your weekly check-ins. Don’t miss a check-in. Write your measurements and weight in your fitness journal each week to keep track!
5. Take Pics. Be sure to wear the same outfit or bathing suit for your before photo and weekly pictures during your check-in to see your progress. Get photos of your front, back, right side, and left side. If you have pictures to compare, it can be easier to notice improvements.
Healthy Lifestyle Practices You Can Use Right Now
Here are some healthy tips you can practice right now to get and stay fit and healthy.
1. Drink a lot of water. Water has so many different benefits for health, including hydration, metabolism, blood circulation, and immune health.
2. Get some sleep. Sleep plays an essential role in your physical, mental, and emotional health.
3. Exercise. If no weights are available to you, there are plenty of body-weight exercises that can benefit you, such as push-ups, squats, lunges, sit-ups, etc. Exercise not only helps improve your muscle strength, but it also helps your cardiovascular system. When your heart and lung health improve, you have more energy to tackle the day.
4. Move a little more. Do some cardio outside to get some sun, burn some calories, and relieve some stress!
5. Avoid sugar. Cutting sugar from your diet not only helps slim your waistline but contributes to a better quality of life and overall health and wellness.
6. Snack on vegetables. Feeling hungry in between meals? Don’t reach for chips—instead, snack on some veggies. Vegetables are full of different vitamins, minerals, and fiber, which are great for a healthy lifestyle change! They are also lower caloric snacks.
7. Take a multivitamin/mineral. Are you taking multivitamins and minerals daily? Now more than ever, we realize the importance of building a strong immune system that’s ready to fight for you. Vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants are your best soldiers!
If you need any more help or more suggestions on home workouts and proper nutrition, reach out to a NUTRISHOP® near you. Find a store here.
– By Madison Avedikian, owner of NUTRISHOP® Brea, California