Can’t get to the gym right now because we're all on lockdown due to coronavirus pandemic? That's OK! You can still get a great workout at home with minimal equipment. Here are my best recommendations for turning your apartment or home into a gym.
Take a few minutes to set up a weight-training circuit in your living room using minimal equipment. All you need is a resistance band, a mat and a stopwatch (or use your phone’s stopwatch!). Ready? Here we go!
1. Bodyweight Walking Lunges x 30 seconds
2. Bodyweight Wall Sits x 30 seconds
3. Hip Raises x 30 seconds (Tip: Lie on your back on a yoga mat and make sure to push through the heels as you raise your hips off the mat.)
4. Shoulder Raises x 30 seconds (Tip: Using a resistance band, place your foot in the middle of the band, grab onto each end and raise your arms overhead to make a Y.)
5. Back Rows x 30 seconds (Tip: Hook a resistance band around a doorknob or bed frame. Grab each end of the band, row the band towards you, squeezing your shoulder blades together.)
6. Full Sit-Ups x 30 seconds
7. Bicycle Crunches x 30 seconds
8. Leg Raises with Knees Bent x 30 seconds
Optional: If you have a pull-up bar, you can focus on the negative portion of the pull-up exercise x 30 seconds.
Complete the circuit 2-3 times. Take a 60-second break at the end of each circuit before starting the next round.
What Else Can I Do? I'm Going Stir Crazy!
My number one tip on how to stay active when you're stuck indoors or other active things to do when stuck in your home? Turn on some music, set a timer for 30 minutes, pick a closet, some desk drawers or even your garage and then organize and clean it as fast as you can! You’ll be surprised at how fast your heart rate will go up and how much you can accomplish when you put a time limit on it. Not only will you burn calories and get your heart rate up, but you’ll hopefully be tackling some of those dreaded organizing jobs as well! You’re welcome.
Happy training! Stay well.
– By Amy Jo Palmquest, NUTRIHOP® store owner, personal trainer, nutrition expert, wife and mother of three. Learn more at AmyJoPalmquest.com.