Who says you can't be challenged when doing a home workout? It's time to turn that myth right upside down! We've got an exercise routine that will recruit more strength effort, command good posture, and melt calories! For this more-than-meets-the-eye workout, all you need is a medicine ball.
Warning: don't let this sneaky combo of exercises fool you. Give this a shot and see what you've got! Perform 3 to 5 sets of the following exercises:
Medicine Ball Plank with Alternating Knee Tucks
- Place hands on ball with shoulders stacked directly over the ball.
- Position feet shoulder-width distance to slightly greater than shoulder-width distance apart.
- Press upper back upwards and contract the abs.
- Draw one knee towards chest, performing a hollow scoop with a 1-count hold, then switch legs.
- Perform 20 reps total (10 reps per leg)
Medicine Ball Tempo Push-Ups
- Position feet shoulder-width distance apart, arms placed in tall plank pose, keeping hands within chest plane.
- With one hand on top of medicine ball, roll ball out to the side, stack elbow overhand, then lower to pushup in 2-count tempo.
- Rise in 2-count tempo, pass the ball to other hand, and repeat, keeping the ball and hands in chest plane area.
- Perform 12 reps total (6 reps each arm).
(Pushup hack: squeeze quads on the rise to keep body level and maintain back support)
Medicine Ball Seated Figure 8s
- From a seated position on the floor, keep active pinch between the shoulder blades, elevate chest and maintain a flat back.
- Weave the ball in a Figure 8 formation around the legs, lengthening the bottom leg and drawing the knee up on the top leg.
- Perform for 30-45 seconds total
Medicine Ball Overhead Reach to ISO Knee Tuck Toe Taps
- Lie on back, lengthen and suspend one leg, draw other leg into a knee tuck hold.
- Curl the tailbone under and maintain core contraction by pressing low back into the floor.
- Holding the medicine ball, extend the arms overhead to tap ball to the floor. Touch ball to toe of bent knee.
- Hold lower body posture throughout the overhead reach.
- Perform 12-15 reps on each leg (complete all reps on one leg before switching legs).
– By Adriana Morrison, NASM Certified Trainer, Corrective Exercise Specialist and Fitness Nutrition Specialist. Follow her on IG: @adrianamorrison_
UP NEXT: Hike Your Way To Happy