You don't have to have weights or workout equipment to get a great full-body workout. Here is a circuit you can try anywhere, anytime, courtesy of Renea Jones-Hudson, a personal trainer and the founder of Fit Mom CEO.
Be sure to start with 5-10 minutes of warmup exercises before doing this lower-body workout to get your muscles warm and ready for what's coming!
Warm-up suggestions: Arm Circles, Carioca, Inchworm, jumping jacks, pushups, leg swings, lateral shuffle, jump-rope (timed 1-2 minutes), run in place (timed 1-2 minutes), high knees (timed 1-2 minutes). Compete for 2 rounds of 8-10 repetitions.
Ready? Let's go!
Do one round, one exercise after another. Then repeat for three total rounds. Do 10-12 reps per exercise unless it is for time.
Burpee (no Pushup)
- Start in the standing position with feet shoulder-width apart.
- Jump straight up, raising your arms above your head as you do so, land on your toes.
- Quickly bend forward, placing your hands on the ground in front of your feet.
- Shoot your legs back into a plank position.
- With your hands still in the plank position, quickly jump your feet back towards your hands and stand up.
- Repeat from step 2 for the desired number of repetitions.
- Assume a pushup position, placing hands shoulder-width apart.
- Perform a regular pushup, bending at the elbows and dropping down slightly forward so that your hands are aligned with the middle of your chest.
- Instead of pushing straight up as you would a regular pushup, push straight back with your glutes, while bending your knees.
- Push forward to return to the regular pushup position and repeat for the required number of repetitions.
Crossbody Mountain Climbers
- Assume the pushup position.
- Keep core tight and back flat.
- Place hands under shoulders with head in a neutral position.
- Bring right knee to left elbow, switch, then bring left knee to right elbow, alternating sides.
- Keep core tight as you return leg to the starting position.
- Repeat for required repetitions.
Quarter Turkish Get-Up
- Lie on your back, holding one hand extended above your chest.
- Squeeze your core to lift your torso off the floor.
- Keeping your arm extended overhead, push your hand to the ceiling.
- Reverse the motion to return to the floor, keeping your arm in position through the movement.
- Repeat for the required number of repetitions.
Straight Leg Bicycle
- Lie faceup with arms extended above your head.
- Lift shoulders off the floor and twist upper body to the right, reaching towards your left shin/leg.
- Repeat the same motion for the opposite leg.
- Complete for 30 seconds.
- Lie flat on your back and contract your abs, pulling your belly button towards the floor.
- Hold your arms and legs straight out from the body with hands and toes pointed.
- Slowly raise shoulders and legs off the ground.
- Keep arms and head raised with the shoulders.
- Keep lower back planted to the floor. NOTE: The goal is to hold the arms and legs out, without them touching the floor and without the lower back arching.
- Complete for 30 seconds
About the Author: Renea Jones-Hudson is a Retired Army Captain, Founder of FIT MOM CEO and an ISSA Certified Master Fitness Trainer. She specializes in bodybuilding, fitness nutrition, strength and conditioning, and exercise therapy. She helps clients achieve a healthy work/life balance with a holistic health approach to becoming the best versions of themselves. Follow Renea on Instagram @thefitmomceo and @reneajoneshudson. Website: reneajoneshudson.com